The Geriatric Education for EMS (GEMS) Core Provider Course is an 8-hour classroom course for Paramedics and Emergency Medical Responders. Upon successful completion of the course, students receive a certificate of completion and a wallet card recognizing them as GEMS core providers for 4 years.
Date: Thursday, September 19, 2019
GEMS provides EMS practitioners at all levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique medical, social, environmental and communications challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS enables Paramedics and Emergency Medical Responders to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live action video, hands-on skill stations, simulation and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience. GEMS covers the following topics:
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-life care issues
- Cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults
Registration will open shortly.